Black Lives Matter
Over the past few days, a lack of justice for the murders of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, and far too many Black lives to list, has led to powerful demonstrations across the United States demanding that BLACK LIVES MATTER.
Woolly Mammoth proudly stands united with Black people and communities of color during this moment of unrest and uprising. We hear your pleas for justice, your cries of pain, and your calls for action. We will listen, we will use our position to fight for you and, most importantly we will love and support you. We share in your grief and we share in your desire for radical change.
In our work to be an anti-racist organization, Woolly makes the following commitments:
- To uplift and amplify the voices of Black leaders, artists, and activists
- To take action by dismantling white supremacy and systems of oppression in our organization and in our culture
- To continually educate ourselves on how we can combat racism locally and nationally
- To move towards our values of equity and inclusion with unrelenting determination
- To call on white friends and colleagues to examine the ways they can display genuine ally-ship in this moment, and in the rest of their lives
- To provide and care for our Black family members including staff, audiences, and artists
In the spirit of that first commitment, here is a link to the brilliant playwright Aleshea Harris’ “What to Send Up on Your Own.” She has used her art to processes the disease of anti-Blackness and shine a light on our country’s systemic racism. We invite you to partake in this ritual response in the wake of tragedy, and share it with those in your life who may also need it. We hope that you are remaining safe physically and find the support you need emotionally during this time.