September 22, 2021 - October 17, 2021
By Mike Lew
Directed by Moritz von Stuelpnagel
Produced in Association with Huntington Theatre Company
and Pasadena Playhouse
- 22Wednesday, September 22
- 23Thursday, September 23
- 25Saturday, September 25
Teenage Dick3:00 PM at Main Stage
- 26Sunday, September 26
Teenage Dick2:00 PM at Main Stage
- 29Wednesday, September 29
- 30Thursday, September 30
Teenage Dick7:00 PM
A modern, darkly comic re-telling of Shakespeare’s RICHARD III set in the most treacherous of places– high school.
Welcome to a modern, darkly comic re-telling of Shakespeare’s Richard III set in the most treacherous of places – high school. Bullied because of his cerebral palsy, Richard is willing to crush his enemies in order to become senior class president. But all the scheming, manipulation, and revenge plots force him to ask the age-old question: is it better to be loved or feared?
Woolly Mammoth is committed to making its performances accessible to the community. Open Captioned, ASL Interpreted, and Audio Described performances are available for select performances throughout the run of TEENAGE DICK.
Open Captioned performances feature permanently visible, on-screen text description that displays dialogue, identifies speakers, and describes other relevant sounds.
- September 21, 2021: Pay What You Will performance at 8 pm – Open Captioned
- September 22, 2021: Preview performance at 8 pm – Open Captioned
- September 29, 2021: Performance at 8 pm – Open Captioned
- October 6, 2021: Performance at 8 pm – Open Captioned
- October 8, 2021: Performance at 8 pm – Open Captioned
- October 13, 2021: Performance at 8 pm – Open Captioned
ASL Interpreted performances feature interpreters placed inside the theatre who translate what the actors are saying and expressing to the audience.
- October 2, 2021: Performance at 3 pm – ASL Interpreted
- October 2, 2021: Performance at 8 pm – ASL Interpreted
Audio Described performances feature live narration interspersed with the actors’ dialogue used to provide information surrounding key visual elements.
- October 15, 2021: Performance at 8 pm – Audio Described
- October 17, 2021: Performance at 7 pm – Audio Described
Assistive Listening Devices are available for all performances. Transmitters and accompanying headsets and ear speakers are available at the Box Office.
“Initially planned for June 2020, we were well into final designs and only a little over a month away from rehearsals when we had to postpone this show last season because of the coronavirus. This hysterical and riveting reimagining of RICHARD III showcases the self-loathing that comes from social rejection, especially for disabled youth. It feels so important to have this show back in our season, especially given the contemporary resonance of conversations about bullying on social media, and the toxic masculinity we are witnessing all over our country. This show also demands that all of us reevaluate our rhetoric surrounding the disabled experience.”
– Maria Manuela Goyanes, Artistic Director
In an effort to be more transparent, Woolly is now providing a fuller description of the plot and contents. For a detailed summary of the show, including spoilers, please click here. If you have further questions about any content please contact our box office at 202.393.3939.