Located at 641 D Street, NW (right off the corner of 7th & D), our dynamic 265-seat courtyard-style theater is just steps away from the Metro, museums, the National Mall, and wonderful restaurants and retail shops.
This "transparent theatrical laboratory," designed by award-winning architect Mark McInturff and Theatre Projects Consultants, offers patrons a glimpse into the spirit of our entire operation, with glass-walled rehearsal, classroom, and administrative spaces, as well as a spectacular two-tiered lobby. The new Woolly Mammoth is a bustling place to experience the leading edge of theater with theatergoers, artists, and students rubbing elbows at hundreds of performances every year.
Woolly Mammoth's new theatre has been honored with a number of awards for its architecture and design by McInturff Architects.
- AMERICAN INSITITUTE OF ARCHITECTS (AIA)—2006 Institute Honor Awards for Architecture
- AIA, MARYLAND STATE COMPONENT —2005 Merit Award
- AIA, WASHINGTON CHAPTER—2005 Annual Architecture Awards
- AIA, POTOMAC VALLEY CHAPTER—2005 Annual Design Award Competition
- UNITED STATES INSTITUTE FOR THEATRE TECHNOLOGY—2006 Honor Award
Read "On D Street NW, A Theatre That Wins Applause" in The Washington Post