Woolly Mammoth Theatre Company was founded in Washington, DC in 1980. Now in its 37th Season, Woolly is "the hottest theatre company in town” (Washington Post), “known for its productions of innovative new plays” (New York Times). We’ve garnered this reputation by holding fast to our unique mission:
To ignite an explosive engagement between theatre artists and the community by developing, producing, and promoting new plays that explore the edges of theatrical style and human experience, and by implementing new ways to use the artistry of theatre to serve the people of Greater Washington, DC.
Thanks for your interest in joining “Washington’s most daring theatre company” (New York Times).
The Master Carpenter will be joining a growing and evolving production team and will collaborate with all other production staff at Woolly Mammoth Theatre Company on the planning, construction and deconstruction of the scenic elements required for the many productions each season. This position reports to the Technical Director and assists in supervising and organizing carpentry overhire and scene shop interns. They will be working on a variety of productions with various challenges and styles.
Responsibilities of the position
- Consult with the technical director and other production staff to understand the goals for the production
- Build and maintain a construction schedule for the production
- Execute the construction, deconstruction, and maintenance of the scenic design
- Identify safety concerns as they arise
- Keep the shop stocked, clean, and safe for each and every build
- Advise management of upgrades and maintenance needs in the shop
- Sustain and cultivate relationships with outside vendors and local building management
- Lead shop overhire and interns during the build
- Assist in facility maintenance
Required skills / capabilities
The ideal candidate will possess:
- A broad skill base in carpentry (welding is a must), electrical, and engineering
- Good mathematical ability
- Excellent safety consciousness
- Strong communication skills and collaborative attitude
- Strong skills in woodworking, metal working and rigging
- Outstanding planning and organizational skills
- Exceptional work ethic
To apply, please submit cover letter, resume, references, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Master Carpenter Position” in the subject line. No phone calls please.