Woolly Mammoth Theatre Company was founded in Washington, DC in 1980. Now in its 37th Season, Woolly is "the hottest theatre company in town” (Washington Post), “known for its productions of innovative new plays” (New York Times). We’ve garnered this reputation by holding fast to our unique mission:
To ignite an explosive engagement between theatre artists and the community by developing, producing, and promoting new plays that explore the edges of theatrical style and human experience, and by implementing new ways to use the artistry of theatre to serve the people of Greater Washington, DC.
Thanks for your interest in joining “Washington’s most daring theatre company” (New York Times).
The Production Manager holds the primary responsibility for producing shows on time and within budget and to assure that thee communication between the Production Department and other departments and artists at Woolly Mammoth is clear and timely. The Production Manager is also the key staff member responsible for maintaining the facility and managing vendor relationships. This position reports to the General Manager and supervises the 5-person full-time production team and additional seasonal over-hire. You will work in a very collaborative environment with staff to create and support some of the most interesting and challenging new theatre productions.
Responsibilities of the position
- Maintain and execute the production department and show budgets and schedules
- Oversee the communication with visiting organizations presented by Woolly and assist with organizations producing in our rental space
- Hire and train crew and over-hire staff as needed for each show
- Communicate & collaborate with designers and directors to realize the vision for each show
- Run and be present for all design meetings, production meetings, tech nights and previews
- Supervise the facility budget and coordinate with vendors and staff for routine maintenance and repairs
- Oversee and at times execute Company Management needs including booking artist travel
Required skills / capabilities
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Three years of professional experience in production management or a related field, with a portion of it at the supervisory level, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- The ability to interact effectively with, and clearly communicate information to, a wide range of persons both within the organization and without
- The ability to attend to numerous projects concurrently, establish priorities, and respond positively, effectively and quickly to continually shifting priorities and needs
- Experience in the DC theater scene, with a good knowledge artists and technicians
- Ability to regularly work nights and weekends based on the production calendar and as needed
To apply, please submit cover letter, resume, and salary requirements with “Production Manager” in the subject line to General Manager Jenn Harris at email@example.com. No phone calls please. Woolly Mammoth Theatre Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.